Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My maternal grandparents



My grandfather was a teacher. He was very strict, but he was honest, kind and a good teacher. Because he was involved in village politics and such, he was a target for envy and maliciousness. He was a target during Maoist time and had he not been warned by friends, he would have been killed. He escaped to Hong Kong. And because of that, they arrested my grandmother instead. She was put in jail. They made her kneel on gravel and threw pails of water over her. People could come and throw insults at her. She was beaten and survived by the grace of heaven. Her sufferings are forever etched in her children's memory and on her face. Someday I would like to write my grandparents' life stories.

1 comment:

Tom Fisher said...

I encourage you to go ahead and write that story about your Grandmother, Lily. Rest assured - if you don't do it, no one else will.