Friday, November 18, 2005

My Paternal Grandparents


My paternal grandparents are seen here with their youngest son, my uncle, Richard. He is a year older than me. My grandfather was known for his kindness and generosity. He would help anybody he could. Like most Chinese, he likes to gamble. He was a smoker and died from emphysema in his early 70's. He and his No. 2 brother ran a laundry in N. Battleford, Sask. for many years. He fathered three sons on his trips back to his homeland, China. Immigrants of his generation had a very hard life. They worked long hard hours, saving their money to send back to their families. My grandmother was known for her temper and thriftiness. I guess opposites do attract, even if the marriage was arranged! She was very traditional in her attitudes, in that she did not like girls. It was just as well that she had three sons. My grandparents lived many years apart in different countries, with only occasional visits home from my grandfather. They were united in 1957 when my grandmother and my 2 uncles immigranted to Canada.

No comments: