Friday, November 18, 2005

Our House


Like the song says, our house is the best house. That's the way I think of our house in China. It is the house that I was born in, and I will always feel ties to it. I cannot remember too much at all about how it looks inside. But it is a two-family house. We lived in it along with my grandfather's No. 7 brother's family. I remember playing on the roof, and even going up to the very top of the pergoda. It was there that I first experienced the presence of our deceased ancestors. I remember telling my mother about these people that I couldn't quite 'see'. And she tells me not to be afraid because they were our family and they will protect me. Our house is still there today, in our village whose name literally means mountain top, in the region called Taisan, near the town of Dousan. (see my link for Taisan)

2 comments:

Tom Fisher said...

Hey, Lily - this is really neat. Do some of your family still live in this house?

Lily Leung said...

Yes, Tom. I still have cousins living back there. And I suspect, my grandmother's spirit resides there. She always want to go back to that house.